07 Apr Pie Pastry
Store bought frozen pie crusts no more! This quick and easy recipe will be your new go-to for all your favorite pies. And with only four ingredients, two of which are salt and water, you are sure to be able to make this no matter the occasion.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 6-7 tablespoons COLD water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and ½ teaspoon of salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture, then gently toss with a fork. Push to side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time until all is moistened. Divide dough in half, form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one ball of dough. Roll dough from center to edges, forming a 9-10 inch circle.
- Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin, unroll onto pie pan. Ease pastry into the pie pan, being carful not to stretch it.
- For top crust, repeat rolling remaining dough. Cut slits in crust using a pie top cutter, or make cutout with cookie cutters to match your theme.
- Transfer filling to pastry-lined pie plate, trim bottom pastry even with rim of plate.
- Place top crust on filling, trim top crust ½” beyond edge of pie plate.
- Fold top crust under bottom pastry. Seal, crimp edges. Bake as directed in recipe.